Slava Novorossiya

Slava Novorossiya

Sunday, November 3, 2013


         On this date, 3 November 2006, Took Leng How nicknamed “Took How Long?”, was executed by hanging in Singapore. He was convicted of the 10 October 2004 murder of eight-year-old Huang Na. He was put to death two years and a month after committing the homicide. What a swift and sure execution!

            I will post the information about this child killer from several internet sources.

Huang Na, the victim

Murdered, body stuffed in a cardboard box

Anna-chan - January 29, 2006 11:23 AM (GMT)
Places indicated are in Singapore =)

Streetsmart, independent and precocious, Huang Na, whose body was found on Sunday morning, was the darling of the Pasir Panjang Wholesale where she lived. She was also remarkably mature for her age. She was only 8 years old and at the age of seven, she took a flight by herself from Changi Airport to spend a holiday with her family in Fujian, China. Then she came back, alone.

The girl was reported missing on 10 October 2004 after she went out alone to make a long distance call to her mother, who had returned to China earlier on 27 September, leaving Huang Na in the care of a housemate.

Huang Na was last seen playing with Took Leng How at the Pasir Panjang Wholesale Centre that day. Took is a vegetable packer at the wholesale centre and a former colleague and flatmate of Huang Na's mother. Took is married and is the father of two young children.

The highly decomposed body was found on Oct. 31 after a three- week nationwide search for the missing girl, who had been studying in Singapore. Her naked body was crammed into a brown cardboard box measuring 50cm by 40cm by 30cm. Huang Na was 1.2m-tall, so her assailant had forced her into what pathologists described as a 'crouching position'.

The box had been sealed with masking tape, but the odour that emanated from it left police investigators, who combed the area for about half an hour before finding it, with little doubt as to its contents.

When pathologists opened the box at the mortuary, they found that Huang Na's body was so badly decomposed that it could initially be identified only as belonging to a 'young girl with long hair'.

It was alleged that on 10 October, Took had coaxed the Huang Na into a storeroom with mangoes and a game of hide and seek. After Took murdered the victim, he wrapped the body in nine layers of plastic bags and stuffed into a cardboard box which was sealed with adhesive tape. Took left the box in the storeroom. Later that day, he went back to his HDB flat in Telok Blangah Heights to watch television. At 8 pm, he left his house with a motorcycle he had borrowed from a friend. It was alleged that Took used the motorcycle to transport the body to Telok Blangah Hill Park.

Took Leng How's Police Statment:
After his arrest, Took told police that he and Huang Na were playing a game of hide and seek on October 10 and he tied Huang Na's hands and feet as part of the game. She was then left in a dark room where she accidentally injured herself by knocking her head against some boxes. Took said that when he returned to the room, he found the girl bleeding from the mouth. He panicked and started to strangle her. He then undressed her to give the impression of a rape.

Trial Of Took Leng How:
In the High Court opening statement on 11 July 2005, the prosecutors said that on 10 October 2004, Took lured the 8 year old Huang Na at the Pasir Panjang Wholesale Centre. He then sexually assaulted Huang Na and smothered her to death with his bare hands. Took also stomped and kicked the victim during the murder. The prosecutors would introduced evidence that Took had tied Huang Na's body with string, sealed her body in nine layers of plastic bags and disposed her body down a slope at the Telok Blangah Hill Park.

During the autopsy, the medical examiner found bruises on her right temple, scalp, chin, jaw and lips. The medical examiner also concluded that the nature of death was asphyxia and the official cause of death was "acute airway occlusion".

The prosecution presented forensic evidence that linked Took and the victim to the crime scene, which was a storage room at the Pasir Panjang Wholesale Centre. Investigators found the victim's hairs and blood traces at the scene; the blood was proven to be belonging to Huang Na following forensic DNA analysis. Investigators also found a cigarette butt that contained traces of the suspect's saliva and a piece of adhesive tape with the suspect's fingerprint on it. However, forensic experts were not able to conclude that the suspect's semen was found in the crime scene.

On 26 August 2005, Took Leng How was sentenced to death after being found guilty for the murder of Huang Na. The judge pointed out that the forensic evidence supported the prosecution's case and that Took had admitted to sexually assaulting Huang Na, smothering her to death with his bare hands.

Huang Na, aged 8, went missing on 10 October, 2004. Her disappearance resulted in a nation-wide search in Singapore. Her body was eventually discovered in a box dumped at the Telok Blangah Hill Park. Took Leng How, a colleague of Huang Na's mother, was charged with her murder. He was convicted and hanged after failing to overturn his conviction at the Court of Appeal when Singapore President S. R. Nathan rejected his plea of clemency. 

On 10 October, 2004, Huang Na, a Primary Two student at Jin Tai Primary School went missing from the Pasir Panjang Wholesale Centre. Her mother, Chinese national Huang Shuying, worked at the wholesale centre but was away in China when her daughter disappeared. Huang Na's disappearance resulted in a nation-wide search fuelled by coverage of the case in the national papers.

Took Leng How, aged 24, a vegetable packer at the wholesale centre was twice questioned by the police. He was Madam Huang's colleague and had previously shared a flat with her in Clementi. Took was also known to be friendly with the victim. 

However, Took fled Singapore before he was due to undergo a lie detector test by walking across the Causeway resulting in a manhunt in Malaysia. He was eventually persuaded by his father to surrender to the Malaysian police on 30 October, 2004.

Took admitted strangling Huang Na with his bare hands, in unit 01-44, a storeroom in Block 15 at the wholesale centre. He had lured the girl into the storeroom for a game of hide-and-seek. According to court testimonials, Took stripped Huang naked and bound her. She knocked her head accidentally against some boxes and went into fits, choking on her own vomit. Took panicked and eventually strangled her to death. He checked if she was alive by striking her three times on her neck. When she was found to be still breathing, Took strangled her.

After she died, Took wrapped Huang Na's body in plastic bags and put them into a cardboard box which he then sealed. The box was eventually dumped in Telok Blangah Hill Park.

Took did not testify during the trial as his lawyer, Subhas Anandan, submitted that he was schizophrenic and hence, was not competent to take the stand. Anandan argued that Took was mentally disturbed, citing his hallucinations.

But the prosecution argued that Took was systematic and methodical in planning Huang Na's murder which showed that he was not mentally disturbed. They also pointed out that although Took initially denied any involvement in the case, he made 18 confessions on different aspects of the murder, giving a clear indication that he was rational. Took had also admitted to sexually assaulting on Huang Na and disposing of her clothes in a nearby rubbish dump that did not have any security cameras.

Took was convicted of Huang Na's murder and sentenced to death. He appealed against the conviction and death sentence with the Court of Appeal but was unsuccessful despite a 2-1 split opinion on the extent of his involvement in the case. One of the three appeal judges, Justice Kan Ting Chiu, pointed out that there was no conclusive evidence to show that Took had killed Huang Na by smothering her. However, the other two judges disagreed with him, resulting in the rejection of Took's appeal.

Took's relatives then sought signatures in support of a petition to the President for clemency. Despite gathering 35,000 signatures within four months, the plea of clemency to the President was rejected. Took was hanged in Changi Prison on 3 November, 2006.

Controversy erupted when the Singapore public learnt that part of the money Huang Na's family received from the public who attended her funeral went into building a four-storey home in China. According to Madam Huang, the contributions from the public were used to build Huang Na's tomb in Putian, China, and to renovate the family home in China. Some of the money was also donated to charity. Madam Huang claimed that the rest of the money would be saved for future rites for Huang Na.

Took's wife, Madam Yuli, an Indonesian, is said to have gone back to Indonesia with their son, Shunwang.

Tan Yee Lin


No comments:

Post a Comment